My Bakersfield

News Details

Preparing For Rain and Storms

The following information is provided for residents to contact the appropriate City department or utility company to report storm-related issues. Periodic storm updates may also be provided on the City's official Facebook page at

If there is an immeidate emergency, please dial 9-1-1

Blocked Storm Drains/Street Flooding
(661) 326-3111 – Monday thru Friday 
7:00 AM to 3:30 PM 
(661) 327-7111 – after hours emergency 
3:30 PM to 7AM 
Downed Trees and/or Branches
(661) 326-3866 - Monday thru Friday
6:30 AM to 3:00 PM
(661) 327-7111 – after hours emergency 
3:00 PM to 6:30 AM
Street Light and/or Traffic Signal Outages
(661) 326-3781 - Monday thru Friday 
7:00 AM to 3:30 PM
(661) 327-7111 – after hours emergency 
3:30 PM to 7 AM
Power/Gas Outage - PG&E
1-800-743-5000 or PG&E Online Reporting
Gas Outage - So. Calif. Gas Co.
The City of Bakersfield is responsible for the operation and maintenance of a majority of residential and commercial/industrial storm water conveyance systems (catch basins, storm water pipes, manholes, junction boxes, and inlet structures) and disposal systems (typically an infiltration basin, also known as a sump) located within the city limits. However, many storm water conveyance and disposal systems are located within private residential developments and private commercial/industrial areas. It is the responsibility of the property owner(s) and/or property managers of these areas to ensure that their storm water conveyance and disposal systems have an operation and maintenance program in place to remove pollutants and prevent clogging of the conveyance system, and to maintain percolation ability and groundwater quality underlying these basins.

Those parties which may be responsible for the maintenance of private sumps have sent notices by the City as part of the preparation process.


If you are unsure of whether your storm water disposal system is supposed to be privately maintained, please use the Sump Locator Map link below and enter your address in order to search for the jurisdiction of your nearest sump site. Additionally, you may contact the City of Bakersfield Public Works Department at (661) 326-3724.

Sump Locator Map 


Commercial and Industrial Businesses Letter

Developers and Engineers of Tracts Letter

Driving Tips in Rain

El Nino Prepardness Checklist

Property Management Firms Letter

Personal Safety Tips

Refuse Container Tips