The City Clerk is the local official who administers democratic processes such as elections, access to city records, and all legislative actions ensuring transparency to the public. The City Clerk acts as a compliance officer for federal, state, and local statutes including the Political Reform Act, the Brown Act, and the Public Records Act.The City Clerk manages public inquiries and relationships and arranges for ceremonial and official functions.
The City Clerks Office is responsible for:
- Records, prepares, certifies and maintains the official minutes of all meetings of the City Council and Oversight Board, and prepares agendas and compiles agenda packets for those meetings.
- The Custodian for official records, the Department acts as the official depository for all City records, ensures that ordinances are codified into the Municipal Code and processes and maintains resolutions, ordinances, contracts, claims, deeds and other documents as required by law.
- Publishes and mails legal notices as required by State law and City statutes.
- The Elections
Official, consolidating all Mayor and Council elections with the Kern County Elections
- The filing officer for Fair Political Practices
Commission campaign statements and Statements of Economic
- The Department coordinates the City’s bid opening process, and accepts
Liability Claims and service of other legal documents.