Join the Bakersfield Fire Department!
Firefighter candidates must meet the following requirements prior to applying to the BFD:
- 18 years of age
- Possess a valid California Driver’s License
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Possess a California State Firefighter 1 Academy Certificate within the last five (5) years- OR- Certification as a California State Fire Marshal Firefighter
- Possess a current and valid State of California Emergency Medical Technician 1 (EMT-1) Certificate-OR-current and valid National Registry Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT) certification or higher.
Firefighter candidates may posses these desirable qualifications prior to applying to the BFD:
- AA/AS, BA/BS, MA/MS degrees or other college level course work
- Paramedic certification (EMT-P)
- Previous full-time paid, part-time, or volunteer Firefighting experience
- State Fire Marshall Office (SFMO) certifications
- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
Firefighter candidates must pass a five (5) part examination process that includes:
- Written examination
- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) or certification
- Oral interview
- Psychological examination
- Medical examination
Firefighter candidates that are successful in the testing process will be placed on an initial eligibility list according to their final scores. Final interviews will be conducted to determine which Firefighter candidates receive formal job offers.
Firefighter Training Academy
BFD Firefighter Trainees must pass the sixteen (16) week, academically rigorous and physically demanding Bakersfield Fire Academy that includes didactic and manipulative instruction in:
- Basic firefighting theory
- Customer service
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT)
- Hazardous Materials Technician
- Heavy and Technical rescue
- Live structural & flammable liquid firefighting
- Physical conditioning
- Wild-land firefighting
BFD Probationary Firefighters must successfully complete a six (6) month probationary period including a final examination process designed to test their competency in the skills necessary for employment as a fully classified Firefighter with the Bakersfield FIRE Department.