Bakersfield Register of Historic Places
1811 20th Street
Built in approximately 1875, the Jastro House was originally owned by Henry Jastro the head of the Kern County Land Company. Jastro helped develop the Land Company (later Tenneco West) in the 1890’s through the 1920’s and was very influential in the State. He was also Chairman of the Kern County Board of Supervisors for 24 years. The Jastro House is the only surviving example of Gothic architecture in Central Bakersfield and has been a victim of time. This house was relocated to its present site from the northwest corner of 19th and “G” Street due to the construction of the Jastro (Standard Oil) Building in 1917. Since then the house has been a rooming house, a Sunday school for the First Baptist Church, and a residence.
Historic Preservation Home