BusinessContact UsVisitorSite Map

About This Site

City Government


Online Services

Requested Information


Welcome To Bakersfield
City Attorney's Home
Contact Information
Mailing Address:
City Attorney
1600 Truxtun Avenue, 4th Floor
Bakersfield, CA 93301
Office: (661) 326-3721
Fax: (661)852-2020



Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the difference between the City Attorney's Office and the District Attorney's Office?

The District Attorney's Office (868-2340) is a department of the County of Kern. It engages in prosecutions of crimes which occur in Kern County It also has specialized units that deal with such things as Family Support and Juvenile Services. The City Attorney's Office represents all City departments and agencies in their various legal affairs (drafting contracts, ordinances, etc.)

2. Where can I get a copy of a provision of the Bakersfield Municipal Code?

The entire Municipal Code is available online here.

3. A City vehicle or work crew damaged my property. What can I do?

If you believe you have a valid claim against the City, contact the City's Risk Management Division.

4. Can I get legal advice from the City Attorney's Office if I live in the City of Bakersfield?

No. The City Attorney's Office does not advise nor represent individuals in private legal matters. Private legal matters must be handled by attorneys retained by the individuals. You may want to contact the Greater Bakersfield Legal Assistance (325-5943) or the Kern County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service (868-4622) for assistance.

5. Can I file a complaint against my neighbor with the City Attorney's Office?

No. The City Attorney's Office represents the City of Bakersfield and its departments and divisions. All civil disputes must be handled by the individuals through a private attorney. If you believe your neighbor has committed a crime, report it to the Bakersfield Police Department.